[tex-live] No errors during virgin install

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Thu Sep 4 23:10:08 CEST 2008

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> As far as I can tell, TeX Live 2008 has not previously been installed on
> this machine, yet it went in (from a local mirror) with none of the
> problems that beset the network install on other machines.  Here are the
> last few lines of the log :
> [...]
> > Running fc-cache -v -r
> > running mktexlsr F:/TeX/Live/2008/texmf-dist F:/TeX/Live/2008/texmf

I assume that you have some more lines in your install-tl.log _after_
 "Running fc-cache -v -r", right?

> [...]
> I wonder, therefore, whether the FC-Cache problems
> result in part from a network install ?  Or whether
> my earlier work, re-permissioning the entire
> TeX directory hierarchy, enabled FC-Cache to complete.

No, I have always that problem when installing from my local mirror.
I do not understand what does it mean "re-permissioning the entire TeX..."
texmf-var tree is writable anyway, e.g., for regenerated map files,
formats, etc.
Anyway, running fc-cache -v -r again _after_ installation works well.

Best,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl