[tex-live] minor problems with install-tl

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Oct 29 17:14:48 CET 2008

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> Well, what you describe is not untypical at markets in this region.
> If you want to have a fresh chicken, why not to buy one which is still
> alive?  It's always unpleasent to see how animals are tortured.  But
> if you buy a piece of meat in a European super market you don't know
> how this piece of meat had been produced.  And you ***definitely***
> don't want to know it.  Sadly, it is by far more cruel than what
> you've seen in Vietnam.  No camera team is allowed to enter one of
> these slaughterhouses behind barbed wire fences for a very good
> reason.

I agree with much of what you say, Reinhard, but I also
hope that one day the whole world will move on to a system
in which animals are treated humanely at all times, including
the VERY point of slaughter.  As to taking a live chicken home,
although I can go along with this in principle, to see a
chicken hung from its tied legs over the handlbars of
a bicycle (as I did in Lao Cai), fills me with horror and
disgust.  And I had to turn off, very quickly, two
recent programs on China being shewn on German television :
the first, "Hund, Ente, Fisch" was self-explanatory,
and I should have known what to expect, but the sight (and
sound) of the dog being picked up by iron tongs and then
dropped into a hole just made me sick beyond belief.  And
a more recent program on the Dong people of China was all
very interesting until the point where Hundefleisch was
mentioned, at which point I had to switch off (I shall
never know how the program ended).