[tex-live] tlmgr error, need help

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Oct 28 23:17:32 CET 2008

    tlmgr: installation location http://mirror.hmc.edu/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
    Can't locate object method "expand_dependencies" via package
    "TeXLive::TLPDB" at /usr/texbin/tlmgr line 1037, <RETFH> line 116053.

It seems you have a newer version of tlmgr, but an older version of the
tlpkg/TeXLive/*.pm files.  I can't say how it came about.

You could try this:
tlmgr update bin-texlive texlive.infra

But probably you will get the same error.  In which case my suggestion
is to go to
ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/2008/install-tl/tlpkg/TeXLive/
and explicitly download the *.pm files and manually put them into
tlpkg/tlpkg/TeXLive.

After that, the tlmgr update command will hopefully run ok, to get
things back in a reasonable state.

Sorry.  Maybe someone else has a better idea.

karl