[tex-live] minor problems with install-tl

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Oct 28 17:04:03 CET 2008

On Di, 28 Okt 2008, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Hmm, -gui always starts up the GUI, doesn't it?  Then you always have
> to check for perl-tk, right?

No, there are some cmd line arguments that do not support -gui.

Example:
you start with -gui mode but the installation breaks down out of a bug.
Then another run of install-tl -gui will realize that installation has
been aborted and will try to restart, but that will not be asked in GUI
but text mode. Currently only the interactive questions are done in GUI.
(Nothing is perfect)

> > 	1) give a warning message that we drop into text mode
>
> Perhaps with a
>
>   proceed? Y/N
>
> waiting for user input.

Ok, noted.

> Exactly.  BTW, are there plans to introduce a caching mechanism, for
> example, having an MD5 checksum of the tlpdb (in a separate file) to
> check whether it should be downloaded again?

No, because the tlpdb is not saved in an reliable place, so we might not
be sure.

One could think of an option like:
	install-tl --tlpdb /path/to/old/tlpdb
but the point is that we don't even *save* the tlpdb from the network,
but read it from there (wget | read loop)

> > Uhhh, maybe, but the messages would scroll by *very* fast.
>
> Ha!  Not for my bad connection in the train :-)

The messages "Testing CD" "Testing DVD" will be shown only for a small
percentage, but ok, if they stay people are informed. As said, i will
think about it.

Best wishes

Norbert