[tex-live] texlive2008 install-tl fails on Windows XP Chinese traditional

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sat Oct 25 21:02:15 CEST 2008

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 11:44:12AM +0800, Nien-Po Chen wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I cannot find any other e-mail addresses to report this problem, so I
> send it to you. I wold like to install TeXLive 2008 to Windows XP
> (Chinese traditional).  The installer stops, as shown in the attached
> screen shots.  It seems the installer cannot handle the folder names (in
> traditional Chinese) properly and fails in mkdir.  Any suggestion?
> Thanks.

Windows sometimes has inexplicable file access problems, so I am not
sure whether folder names really are the problem. I would like to
know whether anybody with a traditional Chinese Windows either did
or did not have this problem.

I am also curious whether short names, such as displayed in the
fourth column of a `dir /x' command, can contain non-ascii
characters in a CJK windows.

--
Siep Kroonenberg