[tex-live] TeXLive 2008 installation over the Internet breaks for Solaris10 x86

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu
Thu Oct 9 22:20:06 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 14:28, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:

>   On the other hand, Solaris comes with quite a lot of GNU software
> nowadays (/usr/sfw contains free programs compiled by SunFreeWare);
> it's
> probably safe to assume that if there is a "gtar" in the PATH, it's
> GNU
> tar, and to use that one instead of "tar".

It is indeed true that gtar is installed (by default?) in Solaris 10 as
/usr/sfw/bin/gtar, but whether tar or gtar will be picked depends on the
relative positions of /bin and /usr/sfw/bin in PATH. It got me as well,
when I first tried. I'd say it's better to work with the vendor supplied
tar.

--
Ettore Aldrovandi
Department of Mathematics, Florida State University