[tex-live] TeXLive 2008 installation over the Internet breaks for Solaris10 x86

Michael E. Thomadakis miket at mikefire1.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 9 06:49:15 CEST 2008

Ettore,

thanks for the reply. I used a recent GNU tar and that did the trick on
Solaris 10.

regards
Michael

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Ettore Aldrovandi wrote:

| Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 21:11:12 -0400
| From: Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu>
| To: Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org>
| Cc: miket at mikefire1.tamu.edu, tex-live at tug.org
| Subject: Re: [tex-live] TeXLive 2008 installation over the Internet breaks for
|      Solaris10 x86
|
| On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 06:32:12PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
| > Hi Michael,
| >
| >     tar: /dev/rmt/0: No such file or directory
| >
| > This message tells me that although we attempted to make all our tar
| > invocations work with vendor tars, apparently we failed on your
| > i386-solaris system.  I'm sorry.  I'll try to reproduce on a similar
| > system and fix our installer.
|
| I have had the same problem myself and forgot to report.
|
| > The best way forward for you would be to install GNU tar, which can be
| > compiled from its original source (http://www.gnu.org/software/tar) or,
| > I expect, precompiled from some Solaris source.
|
| GUN tar is already in S10, installed as /usr/sfw/bin/gtar. I got around it
| by making tar a temporary symlink to gtar.
|
| --Ettore
|
| --
| Ettore Aldrovandi
| Department of Mathematics, Florida State University
| 1017 Academic Way		  *	http://www.math.fsu.edu/~ealdrov
| Tallahassee, FL 32306-4510, USA	 * *	aldrovandi at math dot fsu dot edu

% Michael E. Thomadakis, Ph.D.        Senior Lead Systems Engineer/Res \
% E-mail: miket AT sc.tamu.edu                    Texas A&M University \
%         miket AT tamu.edu                      Supercomputing Center \
% Voice:  979-862-3931                    Teague Research Center, 104B \
% FAX:    979-847-8643                       College Station, TX 77843 \