[tex-live] TeXLive 2008 installation over the Internet breaks for Solaris10 x86

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Oct 9 01:32:12 CEST 2008

Hi Michael,

    tar: /dev/rmt/0: No such file or directory

This message tells me that although we attempted to make all our tar
invocations work with vendor tars, apparently we failed on your
i386-solaris system.  I'm sorry.  I'll try to reproduce on a similar
system and fix our installer.

The best way forward for you would be to install GNU tar, which can be
compiled from its original source (http://www.gnu.org/software/tar) or,
I expect, precompiled from some Solaris source.

By the way, for testing purposes, you may find it less frustrating to
use scheme=minimal than the default scheme=full, since it'll download a
tiny fraction of the full distribution before failing to install it ...

Hope this helps,
Karl