[tex-live] Install Texlive 2008 "The Pirate Bay" website --- uncompressed

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Oct 8 01:38:17 CEST 2008

First of all, I see that many people refer to "The TeX Live team" in
this thread.  Let me make clear that I'm not the TeX Live team.  I
just contributed a little bit but I can't speak for the team,
especially because we didn't discuss this issue internally.  What I
said/say is my personal opinion.

Patrice Dumas writes:

 > Does one wants to have a free piece of software like TeXlive to be
 > associated with censorship?

What I'm concerned about has nothing to do with censorship at all.

Ideally kids learn TeX at school.  Unfortunately it's not very common,
but I'm aware of such a project in Germany.  The teacher, Andreas
Hirsch, is probably on this mailing list too.  I suppose that he gets
into trouble with parents if they recognize that their kids download
TeX Live from sites containing links to pornographic material.

That's what I'm concerened about.

And, having German law in mind, teachers who point their pupils to web
sites containing links to pornographic material will hopefully enjoy
their life in prison.  Again, it has nothing to do with censorship.

Patrice, I could re-formulate your question:

    Does one wants to have a free piece of software like TeXlive to be
    associated with pornographic material?

David (Bone), I followed the link http://tug.org/texlive/acquire.html
pointing to http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4370579 again and now I
also get advertisements like "Meet these girls from your area!".  Sigh!

No, censorship is something completely different. What I'm asking for
has definitely nothing to do with censorship.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25