[tex-live] Install Texlive 2008 "The Pirate Bay" website --- uncompressed

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Tue Oct 7 11:23:55 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 11:15:28AM +0200, Morten Høgholm wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 10:40 AM, David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:
> > Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> writes:
> >
> >> And how can you say what advertisement suits texlive potential users?
> >
> > That's not the question.  The question is what advertisements are
> > acceptable to the content providers, in this case the TeXlive team.
>
> A producer would usually like to control its sales channels which in
> this particular case is where users can download the software. Does
> one want a very useful and free piece of software like TeXlive to be
> associated with software piracy (just the name of the website for
> crying out loud!) and "instant sexual charisma" as the advert said
> when I just visited the torrent? I can understand if one doesn't.

Does one wants to have a free piece of software like TeXlive to be
associated with censorship?

> If you look at the business world, some high-end suppliers of home
> entertainment refuse to sell their products in hypermarkets because it
> will associate their products with what they believe to be inferior
> products and buyers will be less likely to pay the extra premium for
> the high-end product. Brand value and image as we would say in the
> media business.

But texlive isn't sold (at least when distributed as a torrent), so this
doesn't really apply. Moreover I can't see the evidence you base
yourself when implying (with an analogy) that downloaders will be less
likely to download texlive in such context. If you have no such
evidence, it seems to me that this is censorship and not a media plan.

--
Pat