[tex-live] Install Texlive 2008 "The Pirate Bay" website --- uncompressed

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Tue Oct 7 00:25:39 CEST 2008

david bone writes:
 > A note;
 > The "The Pirate Bay" website contains enticement to "Porno pictures
 > --- 20 year olds from Canada". I don't think it is the intent of
 > Tug to use the "so called" free services of such websites.
 >
 > I was going to download BitTorrent from the ``The Pirate Bay'' but
 > exited fast with mistrust due to their other billboard of activity.
 >
 > I don't know if I'm the first to draw this to your attention but
 > i'd suggest either forewarn the user or withdraw them from your
 > email.

Hi David,
this is indeed quite unfortunate.  There had been a discussion about
"The Pirate Bay" on this list already, but at this time the only
concern was that it's not appropriate to use a facility whose main
purpose is to illegally distribute copyrighted material.

Thanks to Phil Taylor and Martin Schröder, TL is now registered at
Legit Torrents:

  http://www.legittorrents.info/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=5f37802bcabce57413a8008e1061721e694e193b

David, you are indeed the first one who reported such things.  Not
everybody is able to see what you reported.  It depends on where you
are.  I, for instance, see only advertisements in German.  Maybe this
is the reason nobody noticed it before.

IMO the situation is not acceptable.

Karl, the file acquire.html mentions both, "The Pirate Bay" and
"Legit Torrents".  I'm not a torrent expert but I assume that a link
to "Legit Torrents" is sufficient.  WDYT?

There is another problem, but I already said that I'm not a torrent
expert:

The link mentioned above contains a table entry:

  Update     http://tpb.tracker.thepiratebay.org:80/announce

Does it mean that "Legit Torrents" depends on "The Pirate Bay"
somehow?  Hopefully not.

My computer is bored when I'm not at home.  I already considered to
install a torrent client.  But I refuse to use any software whose
purpose is to distribute files illegally.  Martin, you are much more
familiar with torrents.  Is there any way to get rid of "The Pirate
Bay" completely?   Means that "Legit Torrents" does all the
management itself.  It would be a great improvement.

David, thank you very much for reporting the problem.  It's a very big
problem indeed.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25