[tex-live] tlmgr testing

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Oct 2 23:10:08 CEST 2008

Hello everyone,

For those willing to be guinea pigs, we've put together a simpler way to
update tlmgr and the related critical packages from the development
sources, to avoid having to get everything from svn itself.

There's a new location ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlcritical which contains
the critical packages (bin-texlive and texlive.infra), updated nightly
from svn.  The basic test would be:
  tlmgr -location ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlcritical update --list

To actually do the update, use --all instead of --list, as usual.

I intentionally made this available only by ftp; if ftp doesn't work for
you, you probably shouldn't be a guinea pig :).

It is not mirrored anywhere because (1) it is small, (2) I expect
relatively few people to use it, and (3) the whole point is to test
what's currently in the sources; mirroring delays would defeat that.

To sum up:
- if you are willing to accept breakage and other normal testing pain,
  please try to update tlmgr as above.
- if you're not, please ignore this message.

And of course, what we're most interested in is whether the new tlmgr
actually works for people in all your multitude of environments.  We
want to push it out to everyone asap.

Thanks,
Karl