[tex-live] Could LZMA compression be combined with SFX format ?

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Wed Oct 1 10:40:59 CEST 2008

Vladimir Volovich wrote:
> "PT" == Philip TAYLOR writes:
>
>  PT> After testing, the SFX file is actually /smaller/ than the
>  PT> original LZMA !!!!!
>
> this is probably because you were compressing using 7z, but not using
> lzma, and it happened that 7z compressed the ISO image slightly better
> than lzma. it is not related to usage of SFX (which always makes the
> archive slightly bigger than without SFX, using the same compression
> level).

Well, the documentation for 7-Zip said LZMA was the
default, but I am very happy to try again and this
time force LZMA compression.  I do think this is
worth pursuing, given the fairly obvious resistance
to non-ZIP compression in the Windows world ...

** Phil.