[tex-live] xdvi and X11R7.4 (cygwin)

Ken Brown kbrown at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 22 13:53:35 CET 2008

On 11/21/2008 4:54 PM, Stefan Ulrich wrote:
> Ken Brown <kbrown at cornell.edu> writes:
>
> This doesn't look good - a stack corruption somewhere in the X
> library.  The stack is probably already corrupted in those weird
> looking type converter warnings. Since it used to work with X11R6.99,
> I'd say it's a problem with that X version and/or cygwin ... I must
> admit that I'm still running an ancient version of X.org (on ancient
> hardware ;-) and I'm afraid of upgrading, so I haven't tested it
> with X11R7.4 yet. Maybe you could forward this to the cygwin
> developers, they might be in a better position to debug this.

I've been asking for help on the cygwin-xfree list also, with no luck yet:

	http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2008-11/msg00116.html
	http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2008-11/msg00214.html

I haven't yet sent them the gdb transcript.  I have a feeling that
there's actually a very simple fix, but I don't know where to look.

Is it possible that this problem is related to the libXp library?  When
texlive is built under X11R6.99, libXp gets pulled in.  Here's a line
from build.log under X11R6.99:

	checking for XpQueryVersion in -lXp... yes

whereas the answer is "no" when I build texlive under X11R7.4.  (libXp
provides the obsolete Xprint extension, which no longer exists in the
newer X11.)  The effect of this is that the compilation of xdvi passes
-lXp to gcc under the old X11 but not under the new one.  Does xdvi
require libXp?  If so, I would have expected the configuration to quit
with an error after not finding it.

Ken