[tex-live] xdvi and X11R7.4 (cygwin)

Ken Brown kbrown at cornell.edu
Fri Nov 21 20:16:35 CET 2008

On 11/21/2008 12:30 PM, Stefan Ulrich wrote:

>>     No type converter registered for '' to '
>
> Hmm, this looks somewhat garbled ... does this error also occur if you
> run it with -expertmode 0 ?

Yes, it does.  The precise form of the error message varies, and there
are also minor variations depending on which X toolkit I use.  I
mentioned in my earlier message that I had tried both xaw and motif.  In
the meantime, I've also tried xaw3d with the same results (again with
minor variations in the precise error message).

> If you have a debugger, you could start xdvi in it, set a breakpoint
> to 'x_error_handler' and then run xdvi with '-sync', that should give you
> a backtrace of where it fails.

I've never used a debugger before, but I took a quick look at the gdb
documentation and gave it a try.  A transcript of the session is
attached.  Does it tell you anything?  I'm also attaching the stackdump,
but I suspect it's useless.

Ken