[tex-live] elvish fonts are not free

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Sun Nov 16 13:32:45 CET 2008

On Sun 16th Nov, 2008 at 09:47, Robin Fairbairns seems to have written:

> Dr. Clea F. Rees <cfrees at imapmail.org> wrote:
>
>> elvish is not free. See texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/fonts/elvish/README.
>
> the file might be interpreted as saying that the useless pl fonts are
> required in any distribution.  julian's address would seem now to be
> inf.ed rather than dcs.ed -- could you request that the licence
> statement be made more sensible?  (and preferably free...)

The README in TL is *not* ambiguous, though:

--- excerpt from README in TL ---

(README changed 13/06/90; conditions relaxed)

*** Important Note ***

These files are copyright (c) 1987 J.C. Bradfield.
They are distributed on the following conditions:
  (a) You may make the source and generated fonts available at your site.
  (b) You may use the generated fonts in any academic or non-commercial
      publication. You may not charge, or allow any other user at your
      site to charge, for use of these fonts.
  (c) You, or any user at your site, may make modifications for his or
      her own use. If you distribute any modified form of these files, you
      must include the original files clearly labelled as such.
      If you produce modifications that seem useful, you are asked to
      send them to me, so that they can be incorporated into the master
      files.
  (d) You may redistribute these files to single individuals (who are
      asked to act on the note below), but you may *not* place these
      files in a public archive site without my permission.

The tengwar font is still under development; when I consider that a
reasonably final version has been produced, conditions (c) and (d)
will no longer apply; but until then I ask you to comply.

*** PLEASE *** If you use these fonts, let me know (at the contact
address below). One day, I may actually get round to the necessary tidying
and improvement, at which time I shall want to replace all earlier versions.
In particular, I hope that the facilities of TeX 3.0 will allow a great
improvement in the "user interface" to the fonts.

--- end excerpt ---

- cfr