[tex-live] TeXdoc XeTeX produces unexpected result

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Thu Nov 13 16:14:43 CET 2008

On 13 Nov 2008, at 13:01, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Thinking to try XeTeX in order to gain simple access
> to Truetype fonts, I typed
>
> 	TeXdoc XeTeX
>
> I was told
>
> 	> texdoc info: No exact match, trying full search mode.
>
> and Acrobat then displayed information on the ifxetex package.
> Is there no documentation on XeTeX that is accessible to TeXdoc,
> and if not, how is one best advised to learn how to use XeTeX?

I'm afraid there isn't a single, canonical source of all information
at the moment. Try

    texdoc XeTeX-notes

for some basic but fairly old documentation;

    texdoc XeTeX-reference

for Will's more recent "quick reference" guide; and

    texdoc fontspec

for the fontspec package, which is the primary interface to XeTeX and
fonts for most users (i.e., those using LaTeX).

There's also The XeTeX Companion, a "work in progress" by Michel
Goossens, at <http://xml.web.cern.ch/XML/lgc2/xetexmain.pdf>.
(Googling for "xetex manual" found that as the first hit for me.)