[tex-live] tlmgr remove --force bin-bibtex removes texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 17:40:02 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de> wrote:
> Subject says it all:
> ---------------------
>% tlmgr remove --force bin-bibtex
> remove bin-bibtex
> remove bin-bibtex.x86_64-linux
> remove bin-kpathsea
> remove bin-kpathsea.x86_64-linux
> tlmgr: actually removed these packages: bin-bibtex
> bin-bibtex.x86_64-linux bin-kpathsea bin-kpathsea.x86_64-linux
> ---------------------
> And hereafter the installation is completely hosed, as we have no
> texmf.cnf and tlmgr can't find itself. :-(
>
> IMNSHO kpathsea should never be removed, unless you uninstall TL!
>
> Best
>   Martin

% tlmgr remove --force bin-bibtex --dry-run
remove: dry run, no changes will be made
remove bin-bibtex
remove bin-bibtex.universal-darwin
remove bin-kpathsea
remove bin-kpathsea.universal-darwin

Tried with  luatex or bibtex or bibtex or even bin-afm2pl it does not
happen. Looks like bin-bibtex is booby-trapped

Victor