[tex-live] tlmgr cannot install packages

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Nov 10 03:22:38 CET 2008

Vladimir Volovich writes:
 > "RK" == Reinhard Kotucha writes:
 >
 >  RK> The nasty thing is that if you set TEXMFCNF, then only the config
 >  RK> file provided by the distribution is found. [...]
 >
 >  RK> Setting TEXMFCNF in the environment means disabling some of
 >  RK> kpathsea's functionality.
 >
 > as far as i noticed, if you prepend a colon at the end of the TEXMFCNF
 > environment variable (e.g. TEXMFCNF=/path/to/my/custom/dir:) then this
 > will not prevent other texmf.cnf file(s) from being found and read.
 > that's how i set my custom settings when i need it.

Hi Vladimir,
I don't object if someone who absolutely knows what he is doing sets
TEXMFCNF.

What I tried to explain is that the default behavior is fine and you
can maintain your local settings already without the need to set
TEXMFCNF.

What I'm concerned about is that people think they have to set
TEXMFCNF in order to customize their system.  But this is wrong.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25