[tex-live] AUCTeX state

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon May 12 16:50:52 CEST 2008

Karl Berry writes:
 >     Hmm, can anybody provide more information about the legal stuff?
 >     AFAIK jpeg6b is included in so many programs that I doubt that there
 >     are any problems.
 >
 > I believe there are some advanced features of recent versions of JPEG
 > which are still patented, but that jpeg-6b and the "usual" jpeg support
 > is fine.
 >
 > The GIF patents did indeed expire
 > (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html) but I agree with you that there
 > is no reason to suddenly start supporting it.

Hi Karl,
many thanks for the explanations.  I considered to add jpeg and ungif
but I finally decided not to do this.  Don't want to add more stuff
than we had in the past.  It makes updates easier in the future,
especially if the latest stuff is at ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/auctex
again.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25