[tex-live] TL 2008 production

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Mar 10 00:12:16 CET 2008

    whole babel stuff it is sufficient to add the following line to
    language.dat:
    hindi zerohyph.tex

Sounds fine.

    Is it possible to include these modules to TL although a
    small patch to the babel core is required?

Robin, is there any movement on the babel front within the latex team?
Clearly getting updates into official babel (one way or another -- you
already know my best theory is to "unbundle" it, similarly to graphics
drivers, etc.) would be ideal.

Failing that, here is my thinking:

- I really, really, don't want to have TL-specific patches to packages,
  especially not in core latex.

- Several languages have newer/better support than what is in current
  babel.  It seems to me that we want users to benefit from those updates.

- Right now, TL imports Heiko's latex-tds package, not latex itself
  (since it's so much easier, and pdfs are optimized, etc.).

- Therefore, I wondered about pushing such babel updates into latex-tds.
  Then there will still be an original on CTAN for TL+MiKTeX, it will be
  a clearly different source than official latex (so Braams won't have
  to give up his control), but users will have the new support.

  Heiko, wdyt?  In this scenario, you would be the one doing the
  integration work, so it's you who has the final say ...

Thanks,