[tex-live] checks for right file types

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Mon Jun 16 05:58:12 CEST 2008

Hello Staszek,

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:27:57AM +0200, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
>
> > * Wrong file types
> >     texmf-dist/bibtex/bst/beebe/xbtxbst.doc
> This is a template file to make several different file types.
> .doc extension is unfortunate here, though.

As far as I have understood it, the file isn't usable as
.bst file, because it contains directives for C preprocessor:

| %%      docstring       = "This file is a modification of the standard
| %%                         BibTeX btxbst.doc file, or is a .bst file
| %%                         derived from that modification.  It contains
| %%                         added support for ISBN and ISSN fields, as
| %%                         well as for the PERIODICAL entry.  The UNIX C
| %%                         preprocessor can be used to extract the
| %%                         extensions of the standard styles, as
| %%                         follows:
| %%
| %%                         cpp -P -DPLAIN xbtxbst.doc is-plain.txt
| %%                         cpp -P -DUNSRT xbtxbst.doc is-unsrt.txt
| %%                         cpp -P -DALPHA xbtxbst.doc is-alpha.txt
| %%                         cpp -P -DABBRV xbtxbst.doc is-abbrv.txt

The standard BibTeX btxbst.doc is located at:
  TDS:doc/bibtex/base/btxbst.doc
Thus, the same top level tree should work fine for xbtxbst.doc:
  TDS:doc/bibtex/beebe/xbtxbst.doc

> >     texmf-dist/fonts/afm/public/lm/lmsy5.aft
> .aft are regular .afm files consistent with .tfm files (.afm are
> consistent with .pfb) to help people to play with.

I will change my script to accept .aft files in TDS:fonts/afm.

> >     texmf-dist/fonts/map/vtex/bera/bera.ali
> don't know why we need .ali files in TL. Perhaps we can strip that.

I don't know .ali files or which programs use them.
They look as some kind of source files to me:
  TDS:fonts/source/vtex/bera/bera.ali

> >     texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/kpfonts/jkpmn7c.pl
> ???

Property list file (tftopl, pltotf).

  $ find fonts -name jkpmn7c.\*
  fonts/vf/public/kpfonts/jkpmn7c.vf
  fonts/tfm/public/kpfonts/jkpmn7c.pl
  fonts/tfm/public/kpfonts/jkpmn7c.tfm

jkpmn7c.pl shouuld go to
  fonts/source/public/kpfonts/jkpmn7c.pl
TDS "3.2 Fonts" says:
| * source, for font sources (METAFONT files, property lists, etc.).
| * tfm, for TEX font metric files.

> >   [TDS:fonts/vf --> *.vf]
> >     texmf-dist/fonts/vf/public/cmcyr/cmcyr6d/cmalt
> No idea

> >   [TDS:fonts/type1 --> *.pfb]
> >     texmf-dist/fonts/type1/jmn/hans/hans-sh.pfm
> .pfm files are never used by any of TeX programs. They are included
> together with .pfb files to help people installing them when needed
> in windows, os/2 or some more. The same is with .inf files.
>
> > At least the *.pfm files should be moved into the right tree.
>
> Sorry, no. TDS must be for people,

For finding files, for example. Nobody expects *.pfm files in
TDS:fonts/type1 if TDS:fonts/pfm exists.

> but not vice versa. .pfm in other
> directory are unusable at all. They are very small files and doesn't hurt
> so much.

texmf-dist/fonts/pfm contains only one .pfm file:
  $ find fonts -name contnav.\*
  fonts/afm/hoekwater/context/contnav.afm
  fonts/pfm/hoekwater/context/contnav.pfm
  fonts/tfm/hoekwater/context/contnav.tfm
  fonts/type1/hoekwater/context/contnav.pfb
By moving the "unusable" file contnav.pfm to directory
fonts/type1/hoekwater/context/ alongside contnav.pfb
it becomes "usable" for Windows and TDS:pfm can be dropped
entirely.

Also this change of TDS should be noted somewhere in the documentation.

> Many thanks for your comments, testing and script.

I will modify the script to accept .pfm, .inf files in TDS:type1
and to reject TDS:pfm.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>