[tex-live] A few glitches in tlnet/tldev

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 13:55:36 CEST 2008

I did a test install on a OS X Leopard 10.5.3.

OS X doesn't appear to provide wget -- I used macports.  It is
possible some other tools used by the scripts also came from macports.

Using a relatively robust internet connection at work, but there are
still problems connecting to the mirrors;  install-tl dumped me out
numerous times:

./install-tl
[...]

Enter command: I
Installing: 12many
Downloading http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/tldev//tlpkg/12many.source.tar.lzma
did not succeed, please retry! at tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 732,
<STDIN> line 8.

This issue with connections to mirror sites seems to be one of those
famous unsolved problems -- if you find a good solution, please let
the Fedora linux
people know!

Each time I have to go thru the configuration menus (or figure out how
to put the selections on the command line).  Either I forgot to set
the papersize on the
last iteration or the setting was not honored, as I'm getting A4 pdfs
when I asked for letterpaper.

Running "texconfig paper letter" and rebuilding formats fixed this for
pdftex, but not xetex:

nashi:TL2008 gwhite$ texconfig-sys paper letter
texconfig: updated configuration saved as file
`/opt/tex/texlive/2008-test/texmf-config/dvips/config/config.ps'
texconfig: updated configuration saved as file
`/opt/tex/texlive/2008-test/texmf-config/dvipdfm/config/config'
texconfig: updated configuration saved as file
`/opt/tex/texlive/2008-test/texmf-config/xdvi/XDvi'
texconfig: updated configuration saved as file
`/opt/tex/texlive/2008-test/texmf-config/tex/generic/config/pdftexconfig.tex'

There is a luatools stub script but no luatools.lua (hopefully this
will be solved with a context update).
Meanwhile, many context users (those with internet access) will do
"ctxtools --updatecontext" -- this gave me a luatools.lua in
texmf-local.

Thanks for all the good work!

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia