[tex-live] TeX Live Installer -- pregeneration of formats

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Jun 10 22:55:10 CEST 2008

On Di, 10 Jun 2008, Frank Küster wrote:
> > the way, the result is is a good example why texdoc should use texlive.tlpdb
> > in the future...
>
> texlive.tlpdb? Isn't that just the database used for selection and
> installation of TeXLive packages? Why should it use that - that would
> restrict its use to packages installed that way, whereas now it can also
> show you locally installed and even user-specific stuff.

Completely agreed.

Although, if we would have a texlua library for accessing the
texlive.tlpdb it would be possible to search in addition to the simple
names also for packages, and even descriptions of the doc files, since
the doc files *can* be tagged with language and description items in the
tlpdb, e.g.:
	 texmf-dist/doc/latex/a0poster/a0.pdf details="Package documentation (German)" language="de"

Best wishes

Norbert