[tex-live] minor issues with installer

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 19:04:15 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Manuel Pegourie-Gonnard wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec a écrit :
>> Manual
>
> :-) I never had my name translated before.

Hmmm ... probably my bad conscious speaking out of me (manual)? Your
name would be spelled the same way here.

>> suggested checking if DISPLAY exists on OS X, but I know that
>> the error doesn't come from you. It's just that Perl/Tk has not been
>> ported to Aqua and depends on X11. Only Tcl/Tk and Ruby/Tk work OK
>> with native Aqua.
>>
> The idea is that if we can somehow detect if X11 is running /before/ we try
> to load the Tk module, then we can exit with a hopefully nicer error message
> than what happens currently.  If things work as I expect (which they almost
> never do on Mac OS, but one never knows), DISPLAY should be set iff X11 is
> running.  Can you check this, Mojca?

You were right.
I mean - about the fact that your ideas don't work as you expect.

You get DISPLAY defined, but only inside xterm. Outside of xterm (but
if and only if you have xterm running) you are free to launch perl/tk
applications. And again - this might be different on Leopard, I don't
know.

Forget about my stupid idea to catch the error. If possible, it would
be nice to fix the window height, but not urgent.

I guess that users are able to resize the window by themselves.

Mojca