[tex-live] problems with tlmgr --gui in Mac OS X

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 22:32:22 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 9:15 PM, George N. White III wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 3:40 PM, Artemio Gonzalez Lopez wrote:
>
>> "tlmgr --gui update" (or any other action, for that matter) makes perl
>> crash  with a bus error in Mac OS X 10.5.4 (on my 3.06 GHz iMac, running the
>> TeXLive 2008-07-18 distribution updated via rsync); see the crash report
>> below for more details. FWIW, the perl/tk distribution I'm using was
>> installed via MacPorts (it's the p5-tk package).
>
> I also get a bus error from "tlmgr --gui" on OS X 10.5.4 using perl5 from
> macports, but have not had time to investigate.   I did, however, see some
> failed tests with p5-tk, and the crash report also points to Tk, so when
> I do get time I want to run the Perl::Tk tests again.   It may be some
> small comfort to know that your pain is shared by others.

I still have OS X 10.4 and Perl/Tk (and consequently TL installer)
works here, though it was a pain installing it. (I had to install X11,
which already comes with 10.5, and I forgot what I did to install
other perl bindings, but I probably did it with fink, by manually
running some CPAN installs and with some other tricks to make external
libraries work.)

I suspect that there's a problem with your system (not implying that
it's your fault, just a slightly broken package)

Try if this hello world works. If it crashes, you need to blame your
installation, but I have no idea where to start looking for the fault.
If it doesn't ... well ... then I'm even more confused.

#!/usr/bin/perl

use Tk;
use strict;
use warnings;

my $mw = new MainWindow;
$mw->title( 'Hello' );

$mw->Label( -text => 'Hello World' )->pack;
$mw->Button( -text => "Done", -command => sub { exit } )->pack;

MainLoop;

Mojca