[tex-live] trouble starting context on latest tl2008 developer snapshot

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Jul 8 10:21:49 CEST 2008

Norbert Preining wrote:
> 	$mw->update;
> 	my $rh = $mw->reqheight;
> 	if (($rh >= 780) && !win32()) {

I have changed this to 580 (800x600 has a height of 600) and
the requested height is never that large anyway. But unfortunately

> 		require Tk::Pane;
> 		my $foo = $mainwindow->Scrolled("Frame", -scrollbars => "oe", -height => 780
> 		$mw->pack(-in => $foo);
> 		$foo->pack;
> 	} else {
> 		$mw->pack;
> 	}

the if (...) block doesn't work for me (Suse 11.0 and Mandriva 2008.1)

The man page hints that there may be some error in the widget hierarchy
or the stacking order that prevents the mainwindow from displaying
anything, but I don't really understand what it says. The actual result
is that I just get a large grey box with no visible content at all.
I tried adding $mw->raise after the repack, but that doesn't help either.

On the up side, however: now that the $mw is a frame inside $mainwindow,
it has become possible to resize the window, so I could actually install
texlive after a bit of moving and resizing with the window manager.

Best wishes,
Taco