[tex-live] serious problem with mktextfm or mktexdir and `~'

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jan 24 01:10:54 CET 2008

mktexdir, and /bin/sh shell scripts in general, have never expanded ~.

What's changed is that we are experimenting with using ~ instead of
$HOME in texmf.cnf.  That solves two problems -- the envvar is not $HOME
on Windows, and kpse's ~ expansion avoids an extra /.

However, the kpsewhich function which the mktex scripts call didn't
do ~ expansion.  To avoid having to change every script, I changed
kpsewhich.

If you get the new i386-linux kpsewhich binary from the repo, does that
help?