[tex-live] Problems updating TL on Cygwin?

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Dec 25 19:28:03 CET 2008

Hi Angelo, hi Karl,

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008, Angelo Graziosi wrote:
> Could it be a problem of TLPDB.pm (timestamps 20122008)? Indeed in my OP
> I see
>
> no available_architectures, continuing anyway ... at
> /usr/local/texlive/2008/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPDB.pm line 1239, <TMP> line 216619

Did you check that there is any functional change but the warning?

As far as I see there should be NO change at all.

Short explanation: I made a change that is correct in the sense that it
does the right thing, and gives more warnings if there are problems.

Before the _option_value("available_architectures") returned "" (the
empty string) if the key wasn't found. Now it returns undef if the key
is not found, which is the correct behaviour.

Now, in your case what happens: in TLPDB.pm in sub available_architecures
we call _option_value("...") and if it is defined we split it on
whitespace to get the list of available architectures.

If it is not defined then the list is set ot the empty list and the
warning is issued.

Before the change we returned the empty string, which is defined, so we
did split the empty string which returned the empty list.

So in both cases the list should be empty, the only difference should be
the *very*valid* warning that in your tlpdb the key
	available_architectures
is NOT set.

The best fix for you would be to edit the texlive.tlpdb with whatever
text editor so that in the block starting with
	name 00texlive-installation.config
there is a line
	depend available_architectures:i386-cygwin

That should fix the warning, but anyway everything else should have
worked as before.

Best

Norbert