[tex-live] bug(?) of tlmgr

Ruben Prins ruben_prins at planet.nl
Sun Dec 21 23:46:27 CET 2008

Yep. The problem is that *if* there's a perldoc somewhere (according to
TeXLive::TLUtils::which) pod2usage results in calling perldoc with the
scriptdir in Config.pm (pod2usage simply combines $Config{scriptdir} with
"perldoc" without checking if it exists). That's causing the problem,
because most people don't have a perldoc at x:\perl\bin.

And if no perldoc is found, pod2usage is called with a -noperldoc argument,
so no external program is called. So the problem isn't really with perldoc:
it isn't even executed as it can't be found.

That's also why various language versions of the error message crop up for
different users: it's the OS telling you that somehow perldoc can't be
found, it's not Perl telling you this. And depending on whether you have an
x: drive, and whether it's mounted, you'll get a different message that's
supposed to make sense, if you know what the OS is told to do in the first
place.

Ruben