[tex-live] Small bugs in install-w32client

Nikos Platis nplatis at freemail.gr
Sat Dec 20 20:59:47 CET 2008

Using a dual boot (Linux/Vista) system, I tried the following setup:
 - Installed TeXLive 2008 normally in Linux, but in a folder visible
from Vista (as C:\texlive). I chose both Linux and Win32 binaries to be
installed.
 - From Vista, run 'install-w32client.bat' to perform something like a
"network" installation in Vista.
My aim was to have a shared installation between Linux and Windows, in
order to minimize maintenance effort (packages will be installed once
and visible from both operating systems).

Here are the problems that I found:

 - The documentation does not mention that 'install-w32client' and
'install-w32client.bat' must be copied in the '2008' folder, which
results in an error when running 'install-w32client.bat'. I only found
the solution by opening the '.bat' file, which mentions the correct
position of the files. So either add this to the documentation or make
the scripts work correctly from their initial location.

 - Regarding the shortcuts created, the link to the documentation is
wrong: it points to a non-existing 'live.pdf' whereas it should point to
'texlive-en.pdf'

- Again regarding the shortcuts, the link to "Texdoc GUI" (texdoctk)
does not work. The simple solution is to set the "startup folder"
parameter of the shortcut to the folder where 'texdoctk' resides (the
2008\bin\win32 folder).

 - The documentation is not correct about dviout. If the package
bin-dviout is installed, the program is readily available in Windows;
unfortunately it needs to be run manually for the first time, then
select its "Install" command in order to create Start Menu shortcuts and
file associations -- maybe this could be done by 'install-w32client'.

And one final question, in case one knows or has tried a similar setup:
would it be considered safe to run tlmgr from Windows? For now, given
that the initial installation was done from Linux, I only run tlmgr from
Linux as well, in order not to break the installation...

Nikos Platis                                e-mail: nplatis at freemail.gr

"The empires of the future are the empires of the mind." - W. Churchill