[tex-live] install-info

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Dec 17 17:58:20 CET 2008

Hi Bernhard,

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008, Bernhard Kleine wrote:
> I moved the /usr/local/bin/install-info to _install-info and everything
> is o.k.
>
> Is this program really necessary on a linux system?

The install-info from TeX Live is the original one. You are using Debian
or Ubuntu and we (I am also Debian developer) ship another install-info
script.

We are working on replacing the install-info from dpkg with the one from
texinfo, but until this time you need to make sure that the install-info
from /usr/bin is found FIRST on Debian/Ubuntu systems, otherwise
installation will not work quite often.

And yes, the program is necessary.

Best wishes

Norbert