[tex-live] Why such an old version of enumitem

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 17:55:52 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Brett Presnell <presnell at stat.ufl.edu> wrote:

> "Victor Ivrii" <vivrii at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> And what TL do you have? 2008? or earlier? My guess is that you have a
>> prior version. If you have 2008 you can update it using tlmgr
>
> I have what is distributed by default with the very latest release of
> Ubuntu (and hence of Debian as well), but you're right, it looks like
> it's a 2007 version.  This is a bit surprising to me since the current
> version of Ubuntu (8.10, "Intrepid Ibis") was released in October of
> 2008 (hence the 8.10).  They freeze the packages a few months earlier,
> but still ...
>
> I had already put a new version of enumitem.sty in my personal texmf
> directory, so I'm ok personally.  I just wanted to make sure that this
> had been noticed by all concerned.
>
> Thanks for all you do.

Just a note of clarification:

The "real" TeX Live 2008 (RTL) distribution from CTAN can be installed
on Ubuntu 8.10
or other debian distros "alongside" the existing texlive 2007 managed
by dpkg (DTL).
To use RTL you just put the bin/<arch> directory before /usr/bin in
your path so the
RTL binaries will be used.  In case of trouble you can always revert to DTL, so,
assuming you have disk space, life with DTL+RTL is better than life
with DTL alone.

RTL does not add anything to "system" directories, and can (in fact,
should) be installed
using only regular user privileges.   If you are at a site where it
costs real money to have
a security review and then an admin install or update a package, RTL
may help your thru
the current financial crunch.

Now that RTL has a package manager, you can benefit from bug fixes and
other updates
without the need to configure/install by hand, but you don't get
things like kdvi that are
better integrated with the distribution's GUI environment.   The
package manager is
not as robust as that of MikTeX (which also runs in linux), but is
serviceable and is being improved.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia