[tex-live] [NTG-pdftex] Fwd: Rebuilding pdftex gives ---! Must increase the hyph_size (Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

Vasile Gaburici vgaburici at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 19:55:47 CEST 2008

My solution was to drop the pdftex binary I've compiled in
/usr/local/bin. Unfortunately from there it thought that it "belonged"
to Fedora's RPM-installed TeXLive 2007 instead of my separate 2008
installation. This is due the kpathsea's compile-time defaults for CNF
locations (paths.h), which eventually finds TL 2007's texmf.cnf in
/usr/share/texmf/web2c. But at least I know that my patched pdftex
works with TL2007.

I'm unable to make it work with 2008 however. Han, what TeXLive are
you using? In 2008 there's no texmf-main anymore, and texmf-config is
empty... If I just do:

export TEXMFCNF=/fc5/tl/2008/texmf/web2c

then pdftex barely works, it cannot even find its pdftex.map file:

pdfTeX warning: pdftex (file pdftex.map): cannot open font map file

Anything beyond CM fonts, even LaTeX's minimal.cls cannot be found.

TL 2008 user guide suggests in section 3.4.5 to set
TEXMFCNF=/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/web2c

But there's no texmf.cnf in texmf-var/web2c, only a fmtutil.cnf