[tex-live] Not so good experience with TL net install on windows.

Bruno Piguet bpiguet at teaser.fr
Sat Aug 23 23:05:50 CEST 2008

Dear all,

    I'm sorry to report a not-so-good experience with TL 2008 net
installer on a ms-windows machine.

    I copied install-tl.zip from ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/2008, and
started a full install, with default choices.

    It took about 13 hours to complete. Sorry, I can't diagnose exactly
why. Most of the day, the CPU and network activity was low. May it come
from my Interner connectivity provider, or the mirror I used
(ftp.inria.fr/pub/CTAN) ?

    Installation seems quite memory consuming. At the end, I got a
ms-windows popup saying that I had not enough virtual memory, that
windows was resizing the swap file, and that some processes may fail
until the new virtual memory would be available.
   That's the first time I get this message on this machine. It
currently has 1310060 Kbytes of physical RAM, and if I read the task
manager display well, the peek use of virtual memory was 5084404 Kbytes.

    Eventually, post install actions failed (was it due to the virtual
memory problem ?)
    There were errors with fc-cache (FcDirCacheValid(dir) returned
FcFalse), with udpmap (running updmap-sys... updmap.bat: updmap: No
appropriate script found), and at the end, the formats were not
pregenerated.

    Any hint on why I was unlucky, and how I could do better, next time ?

Thanks,

Bruno.
ps : here is a copy of the beginning of the log-file :
Using URL: ftp://ftp.inria.fr/pub/TeX/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
Directory for temporary files: ' C:/DOCUME~1/POURTR~1/LOCALS~1/Temp '
Installer directory: 'C:/Documents and Settings/Pour travailler/Mes
documents/bruno/tex/install-tl2008/install-tl'
ftp://ftp.inria.fr/pub/TeX/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
Installer revision: 10347
Database revision: 10341