[tex-live] A fix for (pdf)LaTeX support for Romanian

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 21 10:32:54 CEST 2008

Vasile Gaburici <vgaburici at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:06 AM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
> >    The following lines need to be added to qxenc.def:
> >
> > This part, at least, needs to go to the author of the polski package
> > (this year the "platex" pkg got renamed to "polski"), which is where
> > qxenc.def comes from.
>
> Thanks. There were no email addresses given for the authors listed in
> the qx files, so I couldn't figure out who to contact further
> upstream.
>
> > Staszek, if they haven't already seen it, please forward.
> >
> >    This stuff is too simple to be worth a CTAN package,
> >
> > Seems like exactly the sort of research that should be codified in a
> > package to me, but what do I know ...
>
> I think you're right, because googling for "latex romanian" gives me:
> 1) An 1996-vintage RomanianTeX package on CTAN, which requires
> rebuilding latex.fmt; clearly overkill these days.

doesn't the babel package turn up?  i don't know who suggested it, but i
seem to have:

    A LaTeX2e package for type-setting Romanian in a TeX environment.
    For LaTeX use, the package has been superseded by the Romanian
    option of <xref refid='babel'>babel</xref>.

in the catalogue for romaniantex.  (i had taken it to be a package
rather than a format, from reading the readme rather than the code.
building a format, there, is merely to get hyphenation patterns loaded,
which is done rather more simply nowadays using the distribution config
command.)

> 2) Some web pages that recommend using utf8x or latin10 input
> encodings, but no word on font encodings.
>
> So, I will make a tiny package for CTAN package after all.

good.  it's the sort of thing that will end up being swept up into some
other package, but it's good to make life easier for other users in the
mean time.

Robin Fairbairns

For the CTAN team