[tex-live] problems with tlmgr --gui in Mac OS X

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:45:00 CEST 2008

Progress report:

After updating macports to perl5.10 on two MacOSX systems and
reinstalling p5-tk, "tlmgr --gui" runs using  macports perl5 and p5-tk
on one of the two systems (the Mac pro works, the iMac does not):

The simple perl and tk test script works on both systems, but for the
iMac (again using
X11 on a PC):

$ tlmgr --gui
no event type or button # or keysym at
/opt/local/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Tk/Widget.pm
line 1105, <TMP> line 75425.
 at /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgrgui/do_listframe.pl
line 148
Compilation failed in require at
/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/scripts/texlive/tlmgrgui/tlmgrgui.pl
line 72, <TMP> line 75425.

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:22 AM, George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 8:37 AM, Mojca Miklavec
> <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So the problem is in Perl/Tk, not in TeX Live.
>
> Specifically, with macports Perl/Tk.
>
> I just installed Perl::Tk using cpan  and /usr/bin/perl, following the
> advice at:
>
> <http://sial.org/howto/perl/life-with-cpan/macosx/>
>
> With this installation, the simple test script works, and so does
> "install-tk --gui".
>
> I should mention that I'm running this from a PC with Xming, so there may still
> be some issue for X11 on MacOSX.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia