[tex-live] TeX Live 2007: README files in bad places

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Aug 15 23:42:58 CEST 2008

Arthur,

    The following README files are probably not where they really belong.

Thanks for the report (and the follow-up, Heiko), but there are far
worse problems than this in terms of duplicated/wrong files in the
runtime, all of which have existed for years.  We fixed some this years,
and Heiko and others have written scripts to detect them, but many
remain.  It is an extremely time-consuming process to correct.
The multiple README's are harmless in comparison.

    Sorry I can't tell you about TL2008; I have been unsuccessful in
    downloading it so far (broken link).

Perhaps your mirror has not caught up with the tldev->2008 change yet
(just guessing).  You could get it directly from tug.org or one of the
CTAN backbones, e.g.,
ftp://tug.org//texlive/tlnet/2008/install-tl.zip

karl