[tex-live] TL2008 installation under Windows

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Wed Aug 13 18:06:13 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 04:28:31PM +0200, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> Gregor Zimmermann scripsit (13.08.2008 15:21)
> > As users doing a NET install have internet access anyway, at least a
> > shortcut labelled 'DVI-Viewer' could be placed in the start-menu group,
> > which leads to an internet page specifically describing the installation
> > procedure (i.e. reproduce the content of the DVD's
> > '/support/dviout/README' together with a direct link to this archive).
> >
> I guess this could be done.

It should (also) be mentioned in one of the pages referenced in
http://tug.org/texlive/

> > Normal Windows users do not play with the tlmgr in the first place (as
> > long as everything is working). The button had the advantage, that those
> > same users could incorporate proprietary fonts (Futura) with relative
> > ease when provided with a TDS-ready archive and short step-by-step guide
> > (by me, obviously :).
> >
> Can't the step-by-step guide just say to open an command-line and run
> updmap(-sys) --enable-map foo.map ?

Besides, unpacking a TDS-ready archive in the right place already
assumes that users know their way around somewhat in their TeX
installations, and most users don't.

If OTOH it is turned into a TeX Live package then this can be done
in the postinstall.

> >> What would be relevant values for windows?
> > I have no idea, but you might use 'print /D:PRN filename' as
> > alternative, where '/D:' gives the device and where PRN=LPT1 (see
> > http://www.ss64.com/index.html)

We (I) don't want to mess with this.

> Anyway, I don't see what this print function is good for. IMO, documentation
> should be in a well-known format, namely pdf, html or plain text, that anyone
> knows how to print, and texdoctk shouldn't try to do things like converting to
> ps and printing itself. I mean, once the doc is opened in a viewer the user
> can click on the viewer's "print" button, can't she?
>
> Manuel.

I guess it is too late to remove print support altogether.

--
Siep Kroonenberg