[tex-live] typos in man pages

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Aug 11 00:21:37 CEST 2008

    my question is, should this page be updated
    or simply scrapped?

It is better to have it than not to have it.

    really should be some more changes besides
    the ones shown here.

In many cases, the man pages are mostly there to satisfy desires that
there be man pages for every executable command.  Thus, they can
(should) be as minimal as possible.  The real documentation for just
about everything in the TeX system lies elsewhere and we don't want to
repeat information that can/will get out of date.

In any case, since these moribund man pages have existed as-is for
*many* years, there is no reason to suddenly decide to undertake a huge
update project a few days before the final release.  Indeed, I actively
wish we won't do that.  Any such thorough overhauls can come later, at
leisure.  For instance, some of them could be generated with help2man,
which at least would keep them current, and in some cases actually
provide better information.

Anyway ...

karl