[tex-live] [Cstugb-l] Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: ec.enc, cork.enc and tcaron]]

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 12:37:07 CEST 2008

2008/4/16, Vit Zyka <vit.zyka at gmail.com>:
> Hellow Taco and others, please read bellow:
>
>  Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>

> > Hi Vit,
> >
> > Jim Hefferon wrote:
> >
> > > Please forgive the forward; I don't understand anything about encodings
> > > myself so I can only pass on the report whole.  Vit Zyka wrote me the
> > > message below. -------- Forwarded Message --------
> > > From: Vit Zyka <vit.zyka  munging  gmail.com>
> > > To: ftpmaint  munging  alan.smcvt.edu
> > > Subject: [Fwd: ec.enc, cork.enc and tcaron]
> > > Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:12:34 +0200
> > > Dear Jim,
> > >
> > > I do not know who is responsible for a next bug; in the cork.enc file I
> find address <tex-fonts at tug.org> but my mail returned back undelivered. So I
> am sending this bug to you are the CTAN maintainer. Please, might you
> correct it yourself or resent to a responsible person?
> > >
> > > There is wrongly named the glyph 'tcaron' by 'tquoteright' in the files
> > > ec.enc and cork.enc. It is really bug, see e.g.
> > >
> http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/0165/index.htm
> > > Due to the fact the glyph is simply missing using some fonts in the
> > > resulted documents.
> > >

> > ... and may be present in others.
> >
> > Encoding files that are syntactically correct and succeed in creating
> > a PostScript array of length 256 containing names are bugfree when they
> > are used with a font that uses these names to indentify charstrings.
> >

>  Yes, Taco, you are right the bug in [ec|cork].enc sould be solved in
> conjunction with the fonts.
>
>  Let as look to the TeX Live 2007 temxmf-dist/fonts directory. Command
>   grep -S "tquoteright" *.*
>  responds only
>  .\afm\ibm\courier\cour.afm:C -1 ; WX 600 ; N tquoteright ; B 73 -14 646 563
> ;
>  ... next 7 font variant
>  .\afm\ibm\times\nntb8a.afm:C -1 ; WX 521 ; N tquoteright ; B 0 -6 493 677 ;
>  ... next 7 font variant
>  .\enc\dvips\base\cork.enc:  /tquoteright /tcedilla /uhungarumlaut /uring
>  .\enc\dvips\base\ec.enc:  /tquoteright /tcedilla /uhungarumlaut /uring
>  .\enc\dvips\base\tex256.enc:/tcaron %   180 % /tquoteright
>
>  So:
>  1. tex256.enc has been corrected yet.
>  2. The only fonts that use buggy name are ibm/courier and ibm/times
>    Total number of afm files that use tquoteright is 16.

IBM fonts are a bit problematic. They contain both typographically
correct /tquoteright and /tcaron with a shape resembling the old-style
mechanical typewriter. When such a font is installed in an operationg
system as OS/2 or eComStation and Czech or Slovak locale is used, ugly
/tcaron is mapped to the corresponding character and /tquoteright is
inaccessible.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz