[tex-live] Problems with including eps files

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 14:21:59 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 12:57 AM, Qiao L.F <qiao.l.f at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have written a simply tex file including a figure, here are the tex file
> and figure file:
>
> %tex file main.tex
>
> \documentclass{book}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
>
> \begin{document}
> \chapter{test}
>
> \begin{figure}[ht]
>  \includegraphics{test.0}
> \end{figure}
>
> \end{document}
>
> %figure file tes.0
>
> %!PS
> %%BoundingBox: 5 0 347 209
> %%HiResBoundingBox: 5.72977 0.05345 346.51865 208.94174
> %%Creator: MetaPost 0.993
>  %%CreationDate: 2008.04.01:1130
> %%Pages: 1
> %*Font: ptmri8r 10.50064 9.96265 4e:88001
> %%BeginProlog
> %%EndProlog
> %%Page: 1 1
> 5 5 moveto
> (4) ptmr8r 10.50064 fshow
> gsave [0 1 -1 0 13.60527 107.1855 ] concat 0 0 moveto
>  (ln) ptmr8r 10.50064 fshow grestore
> showpage
> %%EOF
>
> Then I use commands: latex main ; dvipdfmx main to produce a pdf file.The
> pdf file created can not show characters "ln" in figure file 'test.0'.
>  But when I delete the line "\chapter{test}" in the file "main.tex", the pdf
> file give right results.Are there any one who encountered the similar
> problems?
> And how can I avoid it?
>
> By the way, when I delete the line "(4) ptmr8r 10.50064 fshow" in file
> "test.0", it an also give right results , I use texlive 2007 with default
> configurations.

Using texlive 2007 (from the Red Hat rpm's,  Fedora 8)
<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureTexLive>

$ latex main ; dvipdfmx main

works for me.  I get:

$ pdffonts main.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
IPLKMY+CMBX12                        Type 1C           yes yes yes      4  0
KXWNCC+CMR10                         Type 1C           yes yes yes      8  0
UPLZFF+NimbusRomNo9L-Regu            Type 1C           yes yes yes      6  0

You don't mention a platform or a pdf viewer (not part of TeX Live).   Try
running with the pdf compression disabled ("dvipdfmx -z 0 main") and
search for the strings in the resulting pdf file.   Try using the "draft" mode
with graphicx to make sure the PS file dimensions are being read correctly.

I vaguely recall some problems with dvipdfmx configuration -- have you
checked the list archives?

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia