[tex-live] Cosmetic changes / typos in TEX Live Guide 2007

Javier (a.k.a AlBundy) buzonazo at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 12:06:28 CEST 2007

Hi:

In "The TEX Live Guide" of my TeX Live 2007 DVD
(/mnt/dvd/texmf-doc/doc/english/texlive-en/live.{html,pdf})
I've found some paragraphs that should be corrected (IMHO):

(I am not sure if exists a CVS/SVN/beta/inestable repository
in which all nexts changes have already commited, so excuse me
if it is the case.)

TYPO1: In section "3.1 Running TeX Live directly from media (Unix)"
we can read:
        It is possible to use the TeX system directly from
        the live DVD, without installing the distribution
        to disk. [...] It is _not_ possible to run TeX directly
        from the other CDs [...] To start, you mount the CD or
        DVD, with Rock Ridge extensions enabled.

But we know TeX Live can only be run in "live mode" with DVD media,
so the third sentence of above paragraph contradicts the other two.

This seems a typo originated by "copy&paste" from another
sections of the document, where is explained the
installation to disk, that can be done from either CD or DVD.

So the correct sentence (in section 3.1) must be:
        [...] To start, you mount the live DVD, with Rock Ridge
        extensions enabled.

TYPO2: In both sections "3.1 Running TeX Live directly from media (Unix)"
and  "3.2 Installing TeX Live to disk"
we can read:
        Change the current directory to the mount point:
        > cd /mnt/cdrom
        Under Mac OSX, the directory is typically under /Volumes,
        and the media will be mounted automatically. Run the
        installation script install-tl.sh:
        > sh install-tl.sh

With this text layout, it looks as if installation script
is only for MacOSX!!. I would advise something like:

        Under Mac OSX, the directory is typically under /Volumes,
        and the media will be mounted automatically.

        Run the installation script install-tl.sh:
        > sh install-tl.sh

that is, Mac OSX in a separate paragraph.
In fact, section "3.3 Installing individual packages to disk"
follows this layout aka 'Mac-OSX-exception-in-a-separated-paragraph'.

TYPO3: In section "5. Mac OSX installation", we can read:
        The recommended way to install TeX on Max OSX is from
        the MacTeX distribution, new in 2005. This is provided on the
        live DVD in the top-level mactex/ directory.

But, where is mactex/ directory in TeXLive2007 live DVD??

TYPO4: In section "6.1 Installing TeX Live to disk"
we can read:
        After inserting the TeX Live CD into the CD drive,
        autostart should activate tlpmgui.

But it doesn't mention live DVD. A better sentence could be:
        After inserting TeX Live media (DVD or CD) into the drive,
        autostart should activate tlpmgui.

TYPO5: a few lines below, it mentions "the TeX Collection DVD". What/where is th
e "TeX Collection DVD"?

Javier