[tex-live] kpsewhich search order and how to change it

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Nov 17 13:32:35 CET 2007

Hi Philip!

On Fr, 16 Nov 2007, Philip K.F. Hölzenspies wrote:
> holzensp:~> kpsewhere tikz.sty pgfcore.code.tex
> /home/aid/holzensp/texmf/tex/pgf/latex/pgf/frontendlayer/tikz.sty
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/pgf/frontendlayer/tikz.sty
> /home/aid/holzensp/texmf/tex/pgf/generic/pgf/basiclayer/pgfcore.code.tex
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/pgf/basiclayer/pgfcore.code.tex

On Fr, 16 Nov 2007, Philip K.F. Hölzenspies wrote:
> Anyway, when I move ~/texmf/tex/pgf to ~/texmf/tex/latex/pgf it all works
> fine.

Damned, I didn't read detailed enough, because otherwise I would have
suggested that. I didn't see that all the pfg stuff is in ONE dir in you
home dir.

> Norbert, I would suggest to either find a different format for the texmf.cnf,
> such that these directories are grouped by locality, or to make an explicit
> note about this behaviour somewhere.

Well it is FAR out of my abilities and responsabilities to change this
behaviour, and furthermore it will destroy tooooo many other
applications.

Best wishes

Norbert