[tex-live] Problem with DejaVu in XeTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 14:38:37 CET 2007

2007/11/13, Jonathan Kew <jonathan_kew at sil.org>:
> On 13 Nov 2007, at 12:43 pm, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I have to typeset a XeLaTeX document which requires DejaVu Serif
> > Condensed Italic. I have dovnloaded and installed DejaVu fonts version
> > 2.21. XeTeX does not complain but xdvipdfmx (run with -vv) reports:
> >
> >> ][4<DejaVuSerifCondensed-Italic(DejaVu Serif:Condensed Italic)@8.97pt
> > ** ERROR ** Cannot proceed without the "native" font:
> > DejaVuSerifCondensed-Italic (DejaVu Serif Condensed Italic)...
> >
> > The fonts are in /usr/share/fonts/dejavu-ttf-2.21, permitions of all
> > *.ttf files are 0644 and otfinfo reports:
> > [zw at centos dejavu-ttf-2.21]$ otfinfo -a DejaVuCondensedSerifItalic.ttf
> > DejaVu Serif Condensed
> > [zw at centos dejavu-ttf-2.21]$ otfinfo -p DejaVuCondensedSerifItalic.ttf
> > DejaVuSerifCondensed-Italic
> >
> > I selected DejaVu Condensed Serif in OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 and tried to
> > type something in italics. It works fine. My OS and xdvipdfmx are:
> >
> > Linux centos 2.6.17 #3 SMP Mon Sep 24 19:59:57 CEST 2007 x86_64 x86_64
> > x86_64 GNU/Linux
> >
> > This is xdvipdfmx-0.4 by Jonathan Kew and Jin-Hwan Cho,
> > an extended version of DVIPDFMx, which in turn was
> > an extended version of dvipdfm-0.13.2c developed by Mark A. Wicks.
> >
> > Non-condensed fonts from the DejaVu family work fine. Could you guess
> > whether it is a problem of the font or of xdvipdfmx?
>
> What version of fontconfig is installed on this system? One easy way
> to find out is to run
>
>      xetex -version
>
> and check the library version that is reported.
>
> Some problems of this nature seem to be fixed by updating to a newer
> fontconfig (2.4.x recommended), if that's a possibility for you.

It reports:
XeTeX 3.141592-0.996 (Web2C 7.5.6)
kpathsea version 3.5.6
Copyright 2007 SIL International.
Kpathsea is copyright 2007 Karl Berry and Olaf Weber.
There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
covered by the terms of both the XeTeX copyright and
the Lesser GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file
named COPYING and the XeTeX source.
Primary author of XeTeX: Jonathan Kew.
Kpathsea written by Karl Berry, Olaf Weber, and others.

Compiled with ICU version 3.4 [with modifications for XeTeX]
Compiled with zlib version 1.2.3; using 1.2.3
Compiled with FreeType2 version 2.2.1; using 2.2.1
Compiled with fontconfig version 2.3.1; using 2.2.3
Compiled with libpng version 1.2.15; using 1.2.15
Compiled with xpdf version 3.01

"yum search" offers fontconfig 2.2.3-7, so I would have to install the
newer version from some unofficial source. Unfortunatelly the deadline
for the whole journal is tomorrow :-(

It seams that non-condensed fonts do not harm the document.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/