[tex-live] "chmod" flags for windows executables

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 00:53:43 CET 2007

2007/11/11, Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>:
> Mojca wrote:
>  > Thanks, but you replied to me only :)
>
> This was not intended, so I forward the mail to the list again.
>
> Mojca Miklavec writes:
>
>  > May I ask you for a little favor in case you're runnig windows?
>
>  > Can you please try to run the "runme.bat" and then try to execute
>  > *any* program in the downloaded folder?
>  >      http://minimals.contextgarden.net/test/rsync-test.zip
>  >
>  > The script will download some tex binaries from contextgarden.net. Can
>  > you tell me if it works and what permissions are set to the files?
>  >
>  > I would be very greatful for that.
>
> Sorry, I don't have Windows at home, and at work I have internet access
> only on the Linux server, which means that I cannot run Windows
> programs which require internet access.
>
> Maybe someone else could help and post the results to the list.
>
> BTW, it's a known problem that the permission flags in the TeX Live
> subversion repository are wrong.  Staszek already asked sometime ago
> but I had no clue and we regarded it as unimportant because it can be
> fixed more easily by the scripts which create the CD and DVD images.
>
> On the other hand, I'm using the stuff which is actually in the
> repository for production because this is the only way to test whether
> everything is working.  There is no reason why this shouldn't work for
> Windows users, too.
>
> I fixed the permissions in my local copy of the TL repository but when
> I run
>
>   svn status
>
> it seems that subversion did not recognize that something had been
> changed.  Another possibility would be to remove all files and upload
> them again.  But I fear that we lose all the svn log entries when
> files are deleted.

You should use
svn propset svn:executable on filename ...

for all executable files. Some time ago I did it for my private
project, first I used "chmod +x" on the executable files and then used
find to locate all of them and -exec ... to set the executable flag.

> If anybody on this list knows what has to be done, answers are very
> appreciated.
>
>  > > Which program did you use in order to find out which permission flags
>  > > are set?
>  >
>  > I don't know how to do that, if I'm honest. But the executables fail
>  > to run unless I run "chmod 777 [files]".
>
> Ok.  Since we are working on a new installer written in Perl, it would
> be nice to know how Perl sees file permissions on Windows.
>
> I just wrote a little Perl script which prints the results of Perl's
> stat() function to screen.  Some values don't make sense on Windows,
> but I think that you are most interested in [mode].
>
> You can download the file from:
>
>     http://ms25.ath.cx/w32-utils/stat.pl
>
> Usage:
>
>    perl stat.pl <some_file>
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard
>
> --
> Reinhard Kotucha                                      Phone: +49-511-4592165
> Marschnerstr. 25
> D-30167 Hannover                              mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
> Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz