[tex-live] post build of source.tar.bz2 (updmap-sys and kpsewhich)

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Mon May 28 16:31:13 CEST 2007

Hi there,

In the root Makefile.in for source.tar.bz2 there are a few commands
that are ran after the build.

The 2 I am interested in discussing are:
updmap-sys
kpsewhich --format='web2c files' updmap.cfg >/dev/null

When I have my teTeX like subset texmf installed (scheme-tetex.tpm),
running updmap-sys without arguments causes errors as not all of the
files are existant. A quick read of the man page suggests that
--syncwithtrees is what I desire.

updmap-sys --syncwithtrees will cause lots of errors when pdflatex(and
maybe others) is run:

[.. Snip ..]

pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file /usr/local/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updm
ap/pdftex.map): ambiguous entry for `lcbm2488': font file present but not inclu
ded, will be treated as font file not present

pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file /usr/local/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updm
ap/pdftex.map): ambiguous entry for `lcbm2986': font file present but not inclu
ded, will be treated as font file not present

pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file /usr/local/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updm
ap/pdftex.map): ambiguous entry for `lcbm3583': font file present but not inclu
ded, will be treated as font file not present

pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file /usr/local/share/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updm
ap/pdftex.map): ambiguous entry for `lcbmo10': font file present but not includ
ed, will be treated as font file not present
*** Signal 11

If I do not run updmap-sys atall, my package build pdflatex and latex
stuff just fine. This might indicate that this step has already been
run (which makes sense as the texmf on the DVD should run from DVD).
Should I _not_ run this?

Also a quick query is: What is the function of:
kpsewhich --format='web2c files' updmap.cfg >/dev/null

Thanks

--
Best Regards

Edd