[tex-live] luatex release

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue May 22 10:49:19 CEST 2007

Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch> writes:

> Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
>
>> in due time (i.e. when luatex is stable) we will provide examples of
>> these things (and more documentation) which will be somewhere mid
>> 2008, so after the next tex live;
>
> By the way, one question regarding luatex:  There's currently a package
> luatex-snapshot in Debian unstable, for the bold and brave to test.  The
> name makes clear that it isn't a released version.
>
> We were wondering whether we should allow it to enter testing and,
> finally, the next Debian release which is planned "less than 2 years
> after April 2007".  In other words, it might be late enough to contain
> the first release of luatex, but it's equally likely that we would have
> to freeze at a snapshot somewhat before that.
>
> What's your opinion about that?

It is not my call to make obviously, but in my opinion LuaTeX is as
much a moving target at the moment that "testing" and in consequence
at some point a stable Debian release is the wrong place for it.
There is no perceivable chance that by the point such a package would
appear that it
a) would be robust enough to make people at home with it
b) would be even close to the functionality current at the point of
   time.

For now I'd recommend keeping it in unstable.

--
David Kastrup