[tex-live] Non-free parts within TeXLive 2007

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue May 15 11:56:09 CEST 2007

Dr. Werner Fink <werner at suse.de> wrote:

> just to be noted: out license team here at SuSE has detected
> three parts within TeXLive 2007 which do not allow a commercial
> usage.  This violates not only the GNU Gernal Public License
> used for the TeXLive 2007 distribution but also cause problems
> here. This is that the leagal department is very unhappy about.
>
> The parts are:
>
>    * dvi2tty -> texk/dvi2tty/dvi2tty.c
>
>      |  * This program, and any documentation for it, is copyrighted by $VAR
>      |  It may be copied for non-commercial use only, provided that
>      |  * any and all copyright notices are preserved.

that's correctly catalogued on ctan

>    * libgsw32 -> libs/libgsw32/gsdll.h
>
>      | The License grants you
>      | the right to copy, modify and redistribute Aladdin Ghostscript, but only
>      | under certain conditions described in the License.

micro-details of gs are altogether beyond me; i don't even know where
that would have come from, but the gnu packaging has obviously slipped
up here.

>    * ConTeXt -> texmf-dist/doc/context/manuals/allkind/mreadme.tex
>
>      | {\sc NonCommercial:} You may not use this work for commercial
>      | purposes.

sigh.  look at the formatted version:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/macros/context/current/mreadme.pdf

it says the code is free (gpl) but the docs are nonfree (nocommercial).
this is deeply tedious; since documentation is embedded in all
distribution, i agree we ought to mark the distribution as such.

will change the catalogue some time today, unless hans can clarify
something that's eluding me at the moment.

robin