[tex-live] TeX Live 2007 xetex, xdvipdfmx shared library woes on Solaris 10 sparc

Paul Eggert eggert at CS.UCLA.EDU
Mon May 7 20:16:20 CEST 2007

Vladimir Volovich <vvv at vsu.ru> writes:

> "PE" == Paul Eggert writes:
>
>  PE> This is a problem with TeX Live 2007 on Solaris 10 sparc.  I
>  PE> found two problems with xetex and xdvipdfmx.  First, they seem to
>  PE> assume that /usr/sfw/lib is in the standard runtime library path,
>  PE> but this isn't true on a default Solaris 10 installation.
>
> as far as i remember (i've built the TeX Live solaris sparc binaries),
> the path /usr/sfw/lib is "included" into the binaries and you don't
> need to configure the dynamic loader, i.e. it is enough if the
> libraries will be present in that location.

It sounds like you used the -L /usr/sfw/lib option, which causes the
compile-time linker to know about that directory; but you did not also
use the -R /usr/sfw/lib option, which causes the run-time linker to
know about it.  On Solaris, you need to use both options.

Or, it's possible you set LD_LIBRARY_PATH when compiling, without also
setting LD_RUN_PATH.  Same thing.

>   xe(la)tex and xdvipdfmx depend on fontconfig.
>   Because Solaris 8 does not include fontconfig, we used fontconfig
>   package (version 2.3.2) from http://www.blastwave.org/
>   (together with it's dependencies)
>
> i've built the binaries on Solaris 8 for better compatibility

Yes, that makes sense.  But in that case don't you need to include the
necessary (non-Solaris-8) libraries in the TeX Live distribution?  Or
do you expect installers to have downloaded some 3rd-party stuff
before installing TeX Live?  If so, this should be clarified.

It'd be nice if the installation could cater to Solaris-10 libraries
if available but I would understand it if that's too much work....

>  PE> Second, they link to libiconv.so.2, but that's not installed on
>  PE> our departmental Solaris 10 servers.
>
> it is strange that you do have /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 but at the
> same time don't have libiconv.so.2, libfreetype.so.6 and libexpat.so.0
> because these libraries are used by libfontconfig.so.1

Actually, Solaris 10 does have /usr/sfw/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (actually
6.3.7) and /usr/sfw/lib/libexpat.so.0.5.0.  However, Sun has its own
implementation of iconv (in the standard C library) and I suspect
that's what they use.

> ldd /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1

Here's what I get:

        libfreetype.so.6 =>      /usr/sfw/lib/libfreetype.so.6
        libz.so.1 =>     /usr/lib/libz.so.1
        libexpat.so.0 =>         /usr/sfw/lib/libexpat.so.0
        libc.so.1 =>     /lib/libc.so.1
        libm.so.2 =>     /lib/libm.so.2
        /platform/SUNW,Sun-Fire-T1000/lib/libc_psr.so.1

> if you get the same problem with missing libiconv.so.2 etc, then your
> installation is not complete

No, it appears to be complete on Solaris 10, as the iconv function is
in libc.